Wednesday, July 6, 2011

hiding the figs to make the jam

No one in our household cares for figs but if I throw in a little Jello then it is a whole new ball game! Today I spent the day making this variation of fig jam which my boys love.  Below you find the recipe and may be surprised to find some variations you want to try! Let me know how they turn out!

 8 cups of figs, tops trimmed and cut in halves
6 cups of sugar
4 small or 2 big boxes of strawberry jello
6-8 pint jars cleaned and ready to go
1 huge pot  with water to cover your jars at a boil

put everything in one big pot and stir as you bring to a boil. I set the heat right at medium and as it got hot i brought it down just a little. It gets hot pretty fast. Now you can leave the figs in halves if you like chunks in your jam, but i took out my immersion  blender and pretty much turned mine into a puree. This mixture needs to cook down for about 45min to 1 hour. And yes you have to keep stirring it! Have your jars ready to go!
once your mixture cooks down your going to begin putting it in the jars almost to the rims. Wipe the tops of the jars clean and put on the lids. Screw the lids down tight and place them in the boiling water (make sure the tops are covered by the water). Boil them for about 20min. Remove with tongs and place on towels to cool. If you hear a "ping" or "ting" sound....well that would be the sound of success.
*If you want to puree your figs and do not have and immersion blender then just throw them in a food processor before you put them in the pot.
* Alright now for the flavor variations: I have tried Strawberry, Raspberry, and the Blackberry fusion Jello. These are all fantastic. I thought about cherry but none of us really like anything cherry flavored so I didn't do it. Let me know if you get brave and try out any new flavors!
Good luck and "Whats for supper?"

3 comments:

  1. sounds yummy! I MUST find some figs!

    Debbie W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea Alison!

    Here is the link to my blog, in case you are interested. I'll add you as one of the blogs I am "following."

    http://theformanscorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Allison! I love to read about what other people are cooking. Whats for supper? Uhmmmm...Let see, maybe chicken and dumplins.

    ReplyDelete