Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Lightened up Salmon Patties

 I have to say I have been eating these for years! My stepmother, Joyce, made them all the time when I lived at home and we always fought over the last one. I still love them and thought how can I lighten these up a bit without loosing flavor? So as for lightening them up I'm not sure how many calories we saved but they really turned out well!

3 6oz cans of boneless skinless salmon in water lightly drained but not pressed dry.
2 green onions sliced thin
5 basil leaves torn into small pieces
2 sprigs of Thyme (pinch of all the little leaves and leave the stem)
1/4  cup of light sour cream
2 Tbs of light mayo
2 Tbs of lemon juice
2 eggs
little salt and pepper
2 cups of oyster crackers (put them through the food processor and make crumbs)
2 cups of panko bread crumbs on a plate ( you may need more)

1 egg plus a little milk mixed into a wash to roll your patties in.


Place everything except the panko crumbs in a large bowl and stir till  its all mixed well. make small patties in your hand and then roll in your egg wash and then in  panko crumbs. I press my crumbs in kinda tight. Then place in a pan that doesn't have high sides and don't let the edges touch. I tend to use a cookie sheet. Do this till you run out of  pattie mix. then once they are all made and in the pan , I sprinkled a little salt, pepper and dill on top. I also sprinkle a tad of the left over crumbs on top just for extra crispies!  Then lightly spray the tops of each with olive oil. I have one of those pump oil misters (found it at tj maxx for 7 bucks and totally worth it!) But if you don't have one of these, first i recommend you get one and secondly then you could try to spray a little Pam on them. You really need a little something there because it helps the  crumbs do their magic. Bake them at 375 for about 25- 30 min. just till they begin to brown. Pull them from the oven and serve them up!

2 comments:

  1. What do you serve them with? This sounds good. I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night I steamed some broccoli and added some spinach to it to wilt the used a little salt, lemon, molly mcbutter sprinkles to season it up. Then we had a green salad with fresh garden tomatoes cut up on top. I know that is a lot of green and veggies but i'm a veggie lover. The possibilities are endless.....you could do mac n cheese and a salad. Or asparagus spears and a creamy risotto or even healthier some brown rice with chopped peppers?

    ReplyDelete